While other mattress materials can make for a comfortable night’s sleep, nothing beats the feel of an innerspring mattress. This type of mattress has been around for years and is considered the standard in the industry. Best Innerspring mattress is constructed with coils or springs placed inside a fabric or polyester mattress cover.
When shopping for a mattress, you will find a variety of choices. Innerspring mattresses are one popular option. The name “innerspring” refers to the 600 or more wire coils that provide support. The coils are encased in fabric, or ticking a protective outer layer covers that.
5 Best Innerspring Mattresses
- 1. Best Overall: Saatva Classic Mattress 98
- 2. Best Breathable Mattress: WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress 97
- 3. Best Cooling: GhostBed Flex Hybrid Mattress 94
- 4. Best for All Kinds of Sleepers: Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid Mattress 89
- 5. Best for Back and Stomach Sleepers: DreamCloud Premier Hybrid Mattress 89
The innermost coils are exposed at one or both ends of the mattress, connecting to an upholstered headboard and footboard. An innerspring mattress has two main layers. The first is a top layer of padding. The second is the inner core of coils support.
Choosing the right mattress is more about finding the firmness that’s right for your body and sleeping style than about buying the most expensive mattress on the market. Here’s the buyer’s guide where we reviewed the best innerspring mattress.
Best Innerspring Mattress Reviews
The Saatva mattress is one of the most highly rated mattresses on the market. The company offers mattresses with varying firmness levels. The Saatva Classic is a medium-firm mattress made in the USA and comes with a 15-year warranty.
The company uses CertiPUR-US certified foams. The mattresses are made of five layers. From the outside, the Saatva mattress sports a simple design. It is 13 inches tall and is available in a total of four different color combinations. A three-inch Euro-style pillow top sits on top of the mattress and provides a soft feel to this otherwise firm, supportive mattress.
The pillow top is made out of a soft, stretchy material called Tencel, designed to be breathable, fire-resistant, dust mite resistant, and easy to wash.
What I Like:
- This is an excellent choice for all-around comfort and support.
- All layers both provide pressure relief and contouring support.
- Free delivery over the USA.
- You can return the Saatva Classic Mattress for any reason during the first 180 days after purchase.
The Winkbed is a hybrid mattress, which means that it has both foam and springs in it. While many mattresses these days are hybrids, Winkbed product is a little bit different. They are a hybrid mattress designed to offer the best of both worlds, combining the soft comfort of gel foam with the firm support of innersprings.
Winkbed Mattress’s idea is that most people who sleep on a foam mattress will eventually develop back pain since foam mattresses don’t offer enough support to the body. Winkbed Luxury Mattress is designed to fix this problem. The innerspring coils provide body support and reduce back pain after sleeping.
The WinkBed Luxury Hybrid Mattress is the natural choice for those who prefer gel foams’ comfort but still want the dynamic support of an innerspring coil system. WinkBed is also the best choice for sleepers who sleep hot, seek mattress breathability, or have back pain.
What I Like:
- This is a hybrid mattress, combining coils and foam for a more supportive feel.
- Mattresses are made by hand in Watertown, Wisconsin, USA.
- The company uses recycled materials for its mattresses.
The GhostBed Flex Hybrid Mattress is a great mattress for anyone looking for medium firmness and generous support. When you first lie down on this mattress, it will contour to your body and give you great spinal support.
From there, the memory foam layer will cradle you for a very comfortable and relaxing sleep. Also, the coils will work to keep you from feeling stuck in the mattress. The Flex Hybrid mattress is an excellent choice for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and side sleepers.
The Flex Hybrid Mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses that we’ve slept on – and the best part is, it won’t break the bank. GhostBed is a family-owned business that has been making top-quality, affordable mattresses for almost a decade. The mattress provides plenty of support and a seven-layer construction that offers both support and comfort.
A combination of layers provides a luxurious feel while offering a solid night’s sleep: cooling cover and fiber, one-inch gel memory foam, special bounce layer, wrapped coils, and durable support layer inside. All these layers provide you fantastic body support for comfortable sleep.
What I Like:
- This is a luxurious mattress ideal for couples looking to sleep on the same surface.
- The mattress is ideal for the back and stomach sleepers, while side sleepers will appreciate the plushness of the memory foam and the milder support offered by the individually wrapped coils.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid Mattress is a mattress that provides good support and comfort for most sleepers. It is customizable to meet any sleeper’s needs, whether you want a firm or soft mattress, you want an individualized or contouring mattress, and whether you want extra support or just a luxurious mattress.
The mattress is available in three different firmness settings, which allows you to pick the mattress that will provide the best support and comfort for your personal preferences.
The BBS Hybrid Mattress provides an adequate level of comfort, support, and durability. The mattress has many features that allow it to provide good support for most sleepers. The Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid mattress is a 1.5″ quilted top product that uses TitanFlex™ foam for its top layer. This foam combines the best memory foam and latex foam.
What I Like:
- Brooklyn Bedding’s Signature Hybrid Mattress is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a comfortable and affordable mattress.
- A 10-year warranty ensures that you will have a quality mattress for years to come.
DreamCloud is a reliable, durable, and comfortable mattress that is perfect for most sleepers. This is a hybrid mattress, which combines memory foam with pocketed coils to give you a more customizable feel. The coils provide additional support to sleepers, which is why it is a hybrid mattress.
The company also added gel memory foam into this mattress, which is supposed to provide the sleeper with the cool sleeping experience they need to feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
The Premier Hybrid Mattress is the perfect mattress for couples who want a balanced combination of soft and firm support. With a 15” height and a plush, supportive top layer, the DreamCloud is optimal for those who want to sink into their mattress but still need some added support.
The company uses a hybrid construction, featuring layers of different types of foam. The top layer is a cashmere blend that’s soft and breathable, great for people who tend to get warm at night. The next layer is a Trueloft blend made from tufted cashmere, which provides a cloudlike softness that transitions seamlessly into the supportive core layers. The innermost layer is a series of low-motion transfer coils that give the mattress its structure and shape, while the edge-shield coil system keeps the edge of the mattress supportive.
What I Like:
- The mattress is ideal for those who like memory foam’s benefits but don’t want to be stuck in the same position all night.
- Different sizes, like twin XL, full, California king available.
- The company offers a 365-night trial and lifetime warranty.
Innerspring Mattress Buying Guide
Innerspring mattresses account for a huge chunk of the mattress market. They tend to be the most popular choice because of their relatively low cost, and an innerspring mattress is a good choice for someone who wants a traditional innerspring experience.
What is an Innerspring Mattress
Mattresses are designed to provide a comfortable sleep surface for the body. And while you may choose a mattress based on your personal preferences – an innerspring mattress has its advantages. The first one – is a coil system.
Innerspring mattresses are constructed with a coiled system that supports and contours your body. The coils, which are often made of steel or another durable material, are positioned about a foam center to provide support and comfort. The coils can either be individually wrapped or connected by a wire network to provide the right support level.
Innerspring mattresses are the most common type of mattresses in the United States, and most people assume they are the best. Indeed, they are best at keeping their shape and providing strong support for your body.
The coiled system is connected at one end and separated at the other end, so when you lie on the mattress, your weight pushes the coils together, creating resistance. This resistance works to support your body and make your mattress more durable.
Types of an Innerspring Mattress
When it comes to buying a new mattress, many people think coil count is an essential factor to consider. While it can certainly be an important factor, it is not the only one. The most crucial factor is how the coils are built. There are three types of innerspring mattresses – pocket coils, Bonnell coils, and continuous coils.
- Bonnell coils are the most common coil type in an innerspring mattress. Bonnell coils are named after the inventor, George W. Bonnell. They are known for their durability and the fact that they distribute body weight evenly. Bonnell coils are typically cheaper than pocket coils and are made up of two coils placed side by side, and continuous coils have no pockets or holes and are simply made up of one large coil.
- Pocket coils encased in a fabric or padding fabric that cushions and supports the coils. Since pocket coils are encased in fabric, the mattress’s surface (including the top layer) is usually smoother than a product with straight wire coils.
- Continuous coils in an innerspring mattress are a technology that has been around for a long time. These are coils continuous throughout the mattress instead of being grouped like other innerspring systems. Continuous coils tend to be firmer than other innerspring systems, but they do not hold their shape as well. These are often used in combination with other innerspring systems, especially in budget and economy mattresses.
Other Characteristics of Innerspring Coils
When you are buying a new mattress, there are plenty of factors to account for. In addition to the construction of coils, there are other characteristics of innerspring coils.
The gauge of a coil measures how wide the coil’s wire is, and the smaller the gauge, the larger the number. The higher the mattress gauge number, the more supportive and comfortable the mattress will be. As you might imagine, a coil’s gauge has a major effect on how durable and supportive a mattress is.
Coil pitch is the distance between the coils on an innerspring mattress. The higher the coil pitch, the more coils there are on a given surface area. This means more coils provide more support. High coil pitch is important for people who sleep on their sides or stomach, giving them more support. Low coil pitch is better for back sleepers. Low coil pitch is also the right choice for people who have a heavier body.
This is one of the factors that determine the quality of the mattress. If you have a bad back, sleep on your side, or just prefer a firm mattress, coil count may be a priority for you. The more coils a bed has, the stiffer it is and the tighter it feels. Coil counts range from 100 to 1,000+. The average coil count for a mattress is from 200 to 800.
What is an Innerspring Mattress?
The innerspring mattress is the most common type of mattress available today and is the type of mattress you’re likely used to sleeping on. The innerspring mattress, also known as the box spring mattress, is called so because of the inner springs or coils inside the mattress. The springs are frequently covered with other materials, like foam, though.
Is an Innerspring Mattress Good?
If you are in the market for a new mattress, you will probably also look for specific features, such as firmness, comfort, ease of use, and price. Mattresses made of innerspring coils, also known as spring mattresses, provide these features. Spring mattresses are often cost-friendly and durable, without sacrificing comfort.
How Long Does an Innerspring Mattress Last?
The lifespan of a mattress depends on how much usage it gets. A mattress used for ten years will last longer than a mattress used for eight years, even if made of high-quality materials. The average mattress is used for about eight years, but many manufacturers provide a lifetime guarantee for their production.